“No one can see a private blog post, right?”
“Would it work if I pulled my dress down BELOW my bra, if I button my jean jacket over it?”
“I have a weird song in my head. ‘Nobody Knows the Trouble I’ve Seen,’ from Lion King.”
“I thought you were going to just come chat with me after class, like girlfriends do.”
“We both have zits in the same place, but yours is closer to your mouth.”
“If you win an award for your thesis, I am going to shoot you.”
“Don’t get mad, but you would get to meet more people if you left the house more.”
And then, in a handwritten note because I was crying with my Darth Vader doll (…WHAT, it was about other things, not her, and he’s a really good shape for comforting), “Never give up. Never let go … <3, Jack.”
- K: I am never ever ever going to make any money, ever.
- R: Some people have to wait years and years and years before they sell books. Even Mindy Kaling, when she had to just go out to L.A ...
- K: New York.
- R: ... New York, and ... do whatever! She made it.
- K: You have no idea what you're talking about.
- R: I'm just saying that sometimes things become worth way more money after the person who made them has died.
- K: So I should just wait until I'm dead.
- R: No! I mean probably later on in life, J.K. Rowling is going to find your book in your desk, and she'll be like "what?? how isn't this sold??" and then she'll help you sell it. When you're 80.
- K: Why is she going through my things? How old will she be then?
- R: I don't know. She's ageless. And then you'll make a fortune, and give half of it to me, and I'll become a model.
- K: At 80.
- R: Times will be different then.
of TV shows where the ENTIRE COMEDY of the thing revolves around the female character (or the female characters) being regularly humiliated, or having to have bad sex with her asshole boyfriend whom she stays with for no goddamn reason, or being nasty to her female friends at every turn, or being socially inappropriate, or being clumsy, or eating a lot (LOL), or being wildly irresponsible with her money, or being an entitled brat. Women sometimes have these characteristics (I have at least two!) but no single one of them makes a woman or speaks to a whole person’s character and on TV these markers are used that way ALL THE TIME to be like, “Well hey, this woman is unique.” And I guess it is just no longer revolutionary to me to point out that yes, women get treated like shit by men sometimes and haha, it’s so funny that we still date them anyway. That’s just life, right? (No! Not always! And it certainly isn’t everything!) I mean, jesus, my friends and I have had our fair share of poor decisions but nobody sits around reveling in them and what’s funny about it isn’t that it happens and we put up with it, but that we realize it afterward, having left and moved on. Or something! I don’t know! It just makes me mad!
AND THAT is why I don’t think I would like Girls, even though I haven’t seen it yet.
So many things to love about this quote and this story! 1) The inclusion of his political affiliation! 2) The use of a whale for comparison size! (What TYPE of whale, though??) 3) The fact that the article reports that this was “a meteor shower.”
I mean, come on. How many glowing green meteors do you really see these days? *X-Files theme music*